Pages

Tuesday

Butterflies


I love butterflies! I once had the misguided notion that I should get one as a large tattoo  on my hip (thankfully that never happened) but overall I have many happy childhood memories of chasing them around the farm or in my grandmother's garden, fascinated by their array of colours and sizes. It's amazing the way they emerge from a cocoon, something I was lucky enough to witness a few weeks back at the National History Museum in London. 

Much to my amazement the whole process happens so quickly, the cocoon shakes and suddenly splits and this wet crumpled colorful mess emerges, slowly drying off to become a smooth, intricate butterfly. Last July when I arrived in Provence after a long and bumpy car-ride from Lyon, the first thing I did was run down the street to the meadows to photograph all the amazing flowers. Here I couldn't help but notice the vast number of species that populated the area, a veritable feast for the eyes. Apparently the global number is set at 24,000 different species which is mind-boggling if you think about it.  I also discovered some crazy facts like how they taste with their feet, are cold blooded and possess long, tubular tongues. Here are some of the beauties I captured during the warmer weather.  
















Incredible creations aren't they? 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful butterflies! xxx

    reallyliteral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't need to tell you yet again how amazing your photos are! But they are.

    If you love butterflies I can't recommend the book 'Flight Behaviour' by Barbara Kingsolver enough - it is a great book about family life and the migration patterns of Monarch Butterflies. I still think about it now.

    Also, thank you for the comment on my blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! I'm very aware that there are a lot of flaws to the way I photograph but I definitely see an improvement from where I was a year ago, so hopefully that will only continue. Oh thanks for the book tip! I will jot that down on my 'to read' list... (many of which i've taken from your pinterest actually!) Loving your posts these days! x

      Delete
  3. These pictures are absolutely stunning! I've always wanted to get a close picture of a butterfly but those things are tricky! Such beauty!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TJ! They are certainly elusive creatures! I spent a couple of hours in bushes creeping up on them while they pollinated flowers in order to get these ones, haha. Love your blog btw! x

      Delete
  4. love butterflies!

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rakel! I thought most people did, but my boyfriend finds them creepy for some reason! I suppose their beautiful wings distract us from the reality that they are insects, much in the way a snail with a pretty shell makes it seem more appealing than a slug! x (moral of the story: fashion is important ;) )

      Delete
  5. lovely shots
    <3

    x
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so nice of you to say! x

      Delete
  6. these pictures speak a thousand words...they are editorial amazing!
    http://www.bellaconscience.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anna! :) x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I know, nature is incredible! x

      Delete